Since our last project meeting, I as the chairperson asked everyone to go away and so some study on some short films and documentaries to enlighten ourselves with the techniques and conventions consumed. Over the weekend, I’d got onto the 4oD website and looked at generally the introductions and endings to some documentaries. I watched one of the ‘body shock’ series where a girl was born with two heads. Whilst focusing on the introduction to gain ideas on how we could possibly start off our documentary I found that they had slow music played at the start to the set the emotion and scene with personal home videos. There was a voice over introducing the main character and starting what is wrong with them along with statistical information explaining how they might be the only person in the world living this extraordinary life. The voice over then went onto saying, ‘this film tells the incredible story of (name)’s life’ I found this quite effective and could be something we consider to use in our film in terms of techniques.
5 minutes into the documentary it then cut to interview scenes with family members and the doctors where the background was blurred, another convention used in most documentaries whilst interviews are taking place and again we could use this sort of technique for our documentary.
Most documentary/films acquire the same types of conventions essentially in introductions and ending. The ending shots for this documentary were of typical home shots reflection back to the beginning. Clips of the family being happy were being shown and in this case it was the mother of the girl who was born with the two heads playing with her leaving it on a positive note. The closing scenes were of the credits scrolling down slowly with slow music. Even though what we will be creating will be something completely different in terms of content the techniques and conventions are what will inspire us.





No comments:
Post a Comment